22.10.10

Fogo de Chao - Houston, TX

5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by Daniel L. of Houston, TX

Fogo holds a special place in my cold, dark heart. I had both my college and law school graduation dinner party super happy shiny fun celebratory functions here by choice. Any time you pick a place for two big life events you know that it is a reliable, delicious, clean, outrageously great place to come stuff your face.

When you walk through the first set of doors you get to see the meat swinging around near the open flame. I love that. It makes you think you are in a hunter camp of men, where we hunt and kill things and then eat it. When you walk through the second set of doors you come across probably the nicest hostess in the city. I have no idea how many Red Bulls she drank before coming to work but she was very perky and happy and friendly and it scared me.


My biggest gripe with the place is that they do not label a single thing at the salad bar. And it all looks weird. I did not know what anything was besides the plain broccoli. Everything else is weird colors, weird textures, no labels. I scooped a little bit on my plate to sample around. I made the mistake of going for the green goo salad dressing, crossing my fingers and wishing upon a star that it would be Chuy's creamy jalapeno dressing. But alas, no.... and I don't even know what it was, I just know that the meat alarm went off in my head, I shoved the plate of green things out of my way, flipped my red card to green and was ready for a meat overdose.

The waiters and big butcher knife carrying gentlemen that cut your meat are all super friendly, helpful, they describe the meat, answer any silly questions you might have, and do it with a smile on their face. They never judge you for taking a lot of meat, or having discarded meat on your plate in the refuse pile. I like the stuff I don't like, but was curious about trying, in the "graveyard" section of my plate.

In addition to the cold vegetables at the salad bar you get mashed potatoes, fried bananas, some yellow looking cake thing which I still don't know what it was, and some of the best bread in the world. At an all you can eat steak place: you will end up eating bread because it is that good.

The meat is all good. Even if you don't like it, it's because you maybe just don't like that kind of meat. I found out that I don't like lamb - who knew? The garlic beef is all sorts of awesome.


As David N. says, this place really is inviting. You feel good about coming here and on the way out, as you grab a handful of dark chocolate candy, you feel positive about the experience.

It is definitely an expensive meal - but it is all you can eat. Make sure you get your money's worth. And it will still be cheaper than some of the super expensive steak places around town. I would always rather come to a Fogo than a very upscale steak place. The atmosphere and the all you can eat cannot be beat.


8250 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77063
(713) 978-6500
 
  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment